8 karelas/ bitter gourds
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil/ghee
2 grated onions
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon fennel powder/ saunf
1 tablespoon of the grated skin of the Karela
salt to taste
1. Grate the outer skin off the karela. Keep one tablespoon aside (optional)
2. Slit along one side and remove the seeds.
3. Soak them in salted water for half and hour. Squeeze out water.
4. Heat a little oil, fry grated onions and then add all the other ingredients in the same order as listed. Mix and turn off the fire.
5. Once cooled stuff the karelas and tie with string only if required. The stuffing masala once cooked sticks together in a tight consistency so does not generally fall out.
6. Heat oil, once hot add the karelas, lower heat and roll them around till browned evenly on each side.
Tuesday, January 06, 2009