1/2 kg whole peeled tomatoes
1 tablespoon fresh ginger-garlic
1 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
salt to taste
2 tablespoons oil
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon panch phoran
1-2 whole red chillies
1-2 tablespoons raisins (optional)
1. Blanch and peel the tomatoes
2. grind the ginger-garlic, red chillies with half the quantity of vinegar.
3. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat oil. Add the bay leaf and panch-phoran.
4. Add roughly chopped tomatoes and their juice, the blended paste, rest of the vinegar, sugar and salt.
5. Stir well and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let the mixture bubble, stirring every now and then. This can take an hour.
6. Once the consistency looks thick enough, turn the heat off and add the raisins (optional)
7. Cool and refrigerate.