Monday, May 12, 2008

Gujarati Fada-Ni-Khichdi

Gujarati Fada Ni Khichdi, vegetarian snack with broken wheat and daalWhen Rishad lived in Bombay, he introduced us to the famous SWATI SNACKS in Tardeo, which we loved. We used to call it "The Yellow Place" since almost everything on the menu was haldi (turmeric) coloured. There isn't one thing I didn't order on the menu over the number of times we ate there, but my all time favourite was their Fada (broken wheat ) Khichdi. I often make it at home and vary the vegetables or the daal I add to it. Of course, like every dish, there are a number of variations. But here's the recipe we use!


1 cup split yellow gram (yellow moong daal)
3/4 cup broken wheat (wheat dalia)
1/2 cup potatoes diced
2 tablespoons ghee
1/2 teaspoon asoefatida/hing
1 small stick cinnamon
2 cloves
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 cup cauliflower, chopped
1/2 cup onions chopped
1 tablespoon green chilli-ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilli powder
salt to taste
Fresh coriander

Wash and soak moong dal and broken wheat for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside
Boil 4 cups hot water in kettle.
Heat ghee/oil in pressure cooker, add hing, cumin, cloves, cinnamon and stir for 30 seconds. Add salt and turmeric and stir.
Add the onions, black pepper and green chilli-ginger and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add the daal and broken wheat together with all the other vegetables.
Add the hot water and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Open when the pressure when the steam escapes.
Garnish with fresh coriander and stir before serving.

8 comments:

Raaga said...

I know Swati :-) Javji Dadaji Marg... have been there countless times... their sitaphal icecreams top the list :-) My aunt lives across the street from there :-)

This looks lovely.

alagu said...

yay for khichdi!! will make it soon =)

Anonymous said...

this recipe is stolen from other website!!

Ria Patel said...

Dear Anonymous,
This recipe has been mailed to me by my brother who introduced me to Swati Snacks in Bombay many years ago. I'm not sure of its origin - website or book. In most recipes I have named the source- whether website or book or a person's personal family collection. Recipes have a knack of floating around and being generously passed on by most foodies. STOLEN seems a rather harsh term but thanks for visiting the blog and enjoy your khichdi !!

Anonymous said...

The recipe is from Tarladalal.com....word to word...

Ria Patel said...

Dear Anonymous,

Here is my reply - verbatim from the previous anonymous comment of STOLEN.
As I said " Dear Anonymous,
This recipe has been mailed to me by my brother who introduced me to Swati Snacks in Bombay many years ago. I'm not sure of its origin - website or book. In most recipes I have named the source- whether website or book or a person's personal family collection. Recipes have a knack of floating around and being generously passed on by most foodies. STOLEN seems a rather harsh term but thanks for visiting the blog and enjoy your khichdi !!
And if this is word for word from Tarla Dalal - Thanks Tarla !! :-)

Saki said...

@ anonymous,
it's not copied from Tarla Dalal, and it most certainly is not a word-to-word copy. check - www.tarladalal.com/Fada-Ni-Khichdi-(-Gujarati-Recipe)-579r
i had checked a lot of recipes for Fada ni Khichdi, Tarla Dalal's amonng them.

@ Ria,
here's the original Swati Snacks recipe for Fada ni Khichdi - http://www.uppercrustindia.com/ver2/showpage.php?pagetitle=COMFORT%20FOOD&postid=241

Bon Appetit

Unknown said...

The original Swati Snack's recipe for fada ni khichdi which the owner has given I think is in correct. None of the fada ni khichdi recipes I've read so far have rice in them as an ingredient. I tried that recipe and it was nowhere close to the one at Swati Snacks!
Your recipe turned out really tasty and my husband loved it :-)